Wednesday 20 October 2010

Behind the Scenes: All My Nightmares Escaped My Head

Day 3 of my new 365!

Around 5pm I headed up to the hills near my house - I wanted to catch the right lighting for this shot, and having shot in complete darkness before I had to make sure it was the twilight time between sunset and darkness so that my camera would focus and my ISO wouldn't have to be too sky high!

Lucky me, I got to watch the sunset: (iPhone pic)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

apparently it takes a really long time for the sun to set, so after numerous bouts of pins and needles and losing all feeling in my rear, the sun had finally gone done and my little town was cast into shade: (iPhone pic)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I didn't use any lighting for this shot, just a tripod and a IR (infra-red) remote.

I shot this with my 50mm 1.4, at 1.4f, at 3200 ISO and 1/400 shutter speed. The reason I chose to compensate with my ISO rather than shutter speed was mainly for the hair - movement is a huge aspect in creating atmosphere within a shot, and I didn't want my hair to be blurry in the wind. Plus I got a soft spot for grain ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

All the post processing was done on GIMP. Colours were not changed, just brightened the image and adjusted the black tones. The smoke was actually created using this image:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I took this yesterday of a smoke bomb going off, I then selected the areas I wanted to use, and used the "screen" layer to create realistic looking fog.

Smoke bombs are super cheap, I got a pack of 10 on eBay for about £5!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Then I took some nice fun ones just incase my other didn't work out!

What a long day, SUPER fun concept for tomorrow's shoot!

12 comments:

  1. Rosie... brilliant!

    Thanks for sharing this info with us and talking us through your set ups and final images..

    I can't wait to see what you do tomorrow..

    Sachin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so fabulous, Rosie. Keep doing what you're doing!! I always love checking out your blog!!

    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully done! Thanks for sharing with the online community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! Congrats!!
    I've been following your blog and flickr, and I just love your images! I love that you share the before/after with everyone. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for posting about this!
    i love seeing behind the scenes and hearing about process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, ethereal, and inspiring - both you, and your final image. Thanks for this.

    -Don

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love how you created the stars! i love stars :D and kudos for taking in the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving all the behind the scenes and hearing how it's all done! thanks for sharing! interesting stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's amazing rosie ! i really hope you can post a tutorial of exacly how you did this on youtube, filming you editing this in GIMP. i really don't get most things on gimp, hope you can help me and others with that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So simple and so effective! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing job, Rosie! I adore the way you edit your photos. So simple and naturalistic, but magical! :) I actually love the very least picture (when you look up and the Moon is above you). So cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Behind scenes are really
    more attractive .

    ReplyDelete