Sunday 3 October 2010

My 20th Birthday and a big fat thankyou!

Today was beyond wonderful. Today I received so many messages of love, support, friendship and kindness I didn't know what to do with myself.

I got cards from friends and family - and one postcard from Andy Billman, a flickr friend who attended one of my workshops in London. As soon as I read the first few lines, I BURST into floods of tears and had to have my mum read it out to me. I can't explain how lucky I feel today to be surrounded by so much love, and be surrounded by so many kind-hearted, warm friendly people on the web.


This is my old friend Amber and I! She came along with me today while I took some self portraits in the woods. Amber has been there for me every step of the way - when I came back from America feeling hopeless and lonely, she picked me up, took me out and talked all my fears away. I love Amber to pieces, she is one of the wonderful people in this world who truly are special.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Now for the serious stuff :P

This past year has been the hardest one of my life. From moving out to a different country, complete and utter disappointment in myself and experiencing some pretty darn horrible feelings, then finding myself working and photographing Maroon 5 and on a billboard in Times Sq, NYC, it's been pretty unbelievable.
This time last year I was sat outside a motel, in a car park, crying to myself. I felt completely lonely, completely lost and ashamed of the person I was.

sometimes you have to let go

This time last year a woman walked past me walking her dog, stopped and gave me a hug. She asked me what was wrong, and took me back to her motel room where her entire family embraced me, hugged me and talked it out with me. Complete and utter strangers - that night they became my family.

Today I got to spend the day with my family, both offline and online. My faith in humanity as a whole has been restored time and time again by the people I have met in my life.

I have a bad habit of being really really hard to get hold of, with everyone - my friends in real life always give me so much support and so often I don't find the time to tell them how much I appreciate it. So for every facebook wall comment I got, I wrote to each person and thanked them.

Amber sneakily snapped these shots of me when I got some happy birthday texts earlier :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And I want to say thank you to everyone online who has supported me and my photography this past year - seriously guys, I wouldn't have come this far without any of you.

You guys are just so wonderful. For a person to take the time out of their day to say something nice to me, or give me advice, or just say hello - it just makes me realize how wonderful people are. And it inspires me and it motivates me to do the same to the people I encounter in my life. And to help people in my situation - whether it be photographically, or with relationships, or loneliness, or alopecia, anything.

It's because of you guys that I am the happiest I have ever been, and as determined and motivated that I have ever been. I have faith in love after reading all your stories, and I have faith in humanity, which is just a huge thing to have.

So this is just a big thank you, from me to you and anyone who has ever been kind to anyone without want or gain. I can only hope that I can become as wonderful a person as you all are.

keep on snappin' ;)

Rosie xxx



30 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!


    I'm glad that life has turned for the better for you. I hope you keep reaching for your dreams and creating new goals. At only 20 you've done so much, I hope many more adventures await you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosie, I have been following your work for the past year and I must tell you that you have been such an inspiration to me! I have no words to explain how happy I am to have "met" you online and to be able to follow your steps even though I am so far away! Thank you so much for just being who you are and sharing it with the rest of the world! If you ever consider coming to Brazil, please, please, please let me know! Remember you have a friend that admires you bunches down here!! Happy Birthday, sweetie!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Rosie! Glad to hear you had a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. N'awww :) I'm glad you've had such a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing all of that, it seems it really has been quite the journey for you this past year! Hope to see more lovely work from you in the year to come and hopefully many more after that. Happy Birthday Rosie!

    Emma x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know me, I've been following your work recently and I admire you for it.
    Just wanted to wish you a happy birthday and say that I believe that good things come to good people, and it's good to find someone that seems to have been through a lot but still believes in human kindness.... :)
    Wish you all the best!
    Elsa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Rosie!
    I'm glad you've had such a wonderful day and you've had such a positive turn around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww!!! Thank you Rosie, you truly are an inspirational person to all of us as well! We love and thank you!!

    N~Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Rosie !!! ☺ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday Rosie! I'm a big fan and I'm so inspired by you and the things you do. You have really turned your life around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Rosie!!

    Wow you are such an inspiration as an artist and as a person. We have to thank you for being the person you are, for taking time of your busy day to write on this amazing journal/blog. It's really amazing how you can offer this to us. Thank you for your kind words... You deserve the best in your life.

    Whenever you come to Portugal let me know =) I would gladly welcome you in person and give you a big thank you hug.

    Marta, from Portugal*

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
    I REALLY ADMIRE YOUR WORK!! yOU'RE AN EXCELENT PHOTOGRAPHER!

    kISSES FROM ARGENTINA :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday Rosie!!!! Hope you had a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday!! I hope all your wishes come true. Hugs from Colombia :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday Roise! Even though I may not know you personally, but I wish you all the best and have a fantastic birthday, you deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the inspiring post! Kinda been feeling the way you did a year ago but feel better after reading this. I just have to keep faith that things will start to look up. :) So thank you. And a very happy belated birthday wish! Keep up the amazing and inspiring work! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Rosie there are no reasons that can make us stop to hope. U are really very talanted girl! hope ur life always will be bright and nice as all ur photos. happy birthday! cheers from Azerbaijan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday!!!

    A big hug from Spain. =)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday Rosie!!!!!

    Huge hugs from here in North Carolina USA! >:D<'s

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rosie-
    You're work and perseverance is inspirational. Thank you for being so generous with your time and the information you share with us. :)
    I hope you had a most wonderful birthday!

    All the best from Minnesota.
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rosie,
    You have been such an inspiration to me. Because of you I have found my way back to creativity. I started following your flickr page back in 2008 when I started Uni and now I am about to Graduate and I am still amazed and in awe about every single shot. Happy Birthday and I wish you all the best in life.
    Kind regards from the Beautiful Island of Grenada
    Sheba

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday Rosie!

    In my case, I've been following your work since I travelled to London on holidays two years ago on summer... Since then, I've never missed a photo you posted or a story you wanted to share. You've been very brave explaining to the rest of the world all your joy and your sadness, because sharing all that stuff is braveness and nothing else...

    I was sad when you were, and now that you're happy again you can see everyone's happy for you, just like this :-DDDD

    Just wanted to wish you all the best in the world, in love, in your job, with those you love, with your passion for photography so that we can admire your work for many many years :-)

    A big hug from Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain), and never erase that amazing smile from your face n_n

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday Rosie. I accidently found your stream a couple of years ago and find you utterly inspiring. You've been through a lot for someone so young, but find positives and creativity in everything and your determination is fantastic. You should keep doing what you're doing, cos I know I'm not the only one who finds you amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Its a little late but I just need to tell you Happy Birthday.
    You're photography has inspired me more then any work I have encountered. You are absolutely breathe-takingly beautiful and I hope you know you have impacted my life. Reading your blogs and feeling your pain with you made me want to find you where ever you were and fix your wounds. I'm soooo happy to see how successful you have been because you deserve every piece of it. In my wildest dreams I will be half as brilliant and successful as you have been. Weirdly said, I love you and I wish you the best.
    Thank you for the inspiration that you will continue to give out to our world.

    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy late birthday Rosie =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Adorable

    www.threesmallapples.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. so im still trying to figure out how blogger works but until then ill write to you like this. i love your work and was trying to find you on facebook so i can write you messages and ask you questions. do you not have a facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Belated Birthday, Dear Libra!!! That explains the wonderful creativity!!! Thanks for making me smile, laugh and cry with your images!!!

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Rosie i'm cryn :(
    u are amazing and wonderful girl... remember for ever ... tanks for all u are very very sweet Angel

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy birthday to you .
    Many many returns of the day in your life .

    ReplyDelete